Bo Hansson - Lord Of The Rings CD (album) cover

LORD OF THE RINGS

Bo Hansson

friso
3 stars Bo Hansson's Lord of the Rings (1972)

This record is recorded with little modern studio posibilities, it's just some guys playing atmospheric themes. The recording quality isn't very good, but somehow it amazes me. It's like they are playing gently in the corner of your room. No haste, no potential of making bombastic progressive music. No, this is prog reduces to it atmospheric sound combined with some medieaval sounds. The atmospheres are dark most of the time, but sometimes other emotions are played. Bo Hansson is a good keyboardplayer, but his sounds are a bit dated. The strange thing is I still tend to like the silly organ sounds combined with the ambient drums and bass.

The tracks all have a name, but you wouldn't pick em out. This whole record is like one big song, one piece of art. As mentioned before this is no ordinary progrock, but jamsession-like flow music with medieaval sounds. The artwork is nice, but dated because of the recent movies. I like to play this record, but it's not a masterpiece of any kind. I will give it three stars. If you are searching for prog with a different approach, atmospheric music or soundtrack-like music this is something you wouldn't want to skip on! If you like songwriting, epics and a lot of viriatiy of sounds you might want to look somewhere else for you prog. I bought it myself for one euro on vinyl and it's worth it! Good, but non-essential.

Three stars. Not for everyone.

friso | 3/5 |