Indukti - Idmen CD (album) cover

Indukti

Experimental/Post Metal

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
5 stars The year 2009 has been a pretty strong one. Even with another quarter to go it not only added decent albums from known favourites such as Riverside, PT and Osi (even Megadeth and Depeche Mode have their act together again!); there were also a lot of albums that introduced me to bands I didn't know yet: Miosis, Astra, Decemberists, Dredg and the band under inspection here, Indukti.

I have quite a few albums in my catalogue but even so, Indukti manages to sound very much unlike anything else I've heard. They are a progressive, mainly instrumental, experimental, mental heavy metal band. So don't expect overdressed goofs making the horn sign as their main way of communication here. This band is in it for the music!

Now you all want some clue what they are all about. A first obvious reference would be the instrumental side of King Crimson (albums Red, The Power to Believe): lots of chromatic guitar progressions with even some frippertronics as on Aemaet. The band also has a violin player in their ranks which makes the KC reference even stronger. But it's made a lot heavier and louder by throwing in some thrash metal staccato and double-kicks drums, heavy distortions and loud mastering.

Other references, I don't know really. They are sometimes qualified as post-metal but they don't apply much of the repetitious improvisational attitude from that genre. All songs are very much composed and progress through different themes and moods.

Anyway, the resulting sound is very much their own and bound to drive unexpected listeners into opposite directions. From overawed devotion down to categorical disregard. Some of this discord stems from the guest singers on this album. Well, they sure are on the gruff and gothic side of things but, only 3 out 8 songs do feature vocals, so even if you're not into them, it's no reason to discard this album. And if they really put you off, you could still pick up their debut which features the adorable voice of Mariusz Duda.

Bonnek | 5/5 |