Emerson Lake & Palmer - Love Beach CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Only recently I had any wish to hear this CD again. At the time I hated Love Beach as much as anyone else I knew. Well, it was 1978 and with its hideous cover and title, what would you expect? Strangely, I remember seeing a ELP special on TV at the time. Iīm still wondering why it was ever broadcast. Anyway, after 30 years it doesnīt sound nearly as bad as i thought at the time. After all, Greg Lake still had his wonderful voice intact and the band hasnīt lost their magic touch completely. Not that it was very good either. The albumīs first side, very much Lake dominated, has some nice melodies but could be improve a lot with a (much) better production and stronger arrangements.

Side two has a more progressive approach and it is slightly better than side one of the vinyl. Their version for Canario always sounded pleasant to me, even if it is a pale attempt to reproduce their earlier success with Aaron Coplandīs Hoedown. The 20 minute suite Memoirs Of An Officer and A Gentleman is probably the CDīs best track. Ok it is no Tarkus or Karn Evil: it has too many words and not enough memorable ELPīs trademark instrumental parts (it sounds good for a Broadway musical). Yet, it has its merits.

Conclusion: their weakest 70īs efford, little doubt about it, but not that horrible. Worth for fans and collectors, largely because of Memoirs...

Tarcisio Moura | 2/5 |