Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel CD (album) cover

TABERNAKEL

Jan Akkerman

friso
4 stars Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel (1974)

What do you have to like in order to be able to listen to this record? Renaissance Lute (folkguitar) music (side one) and Eclectic conceptual Jazz rock (side two). What a stupid combination, but what a fine record we have here!

The lute music on side one sounds like it was directly dirived from the ancient Courts of England with some additional arrangements of orchestration and fluite. The tracks are beautifull and will be very interesting for fans of ex-Genesis Anthony Phillips. Side one is however not really my cup of tea and most of the time I only listen to side 2.

Side two. After one short lute song the epic 'Lammy' starts. By now there is 100% shift of sound to a professional fusion group with eclectic influences. The opening part is a very inspired and dark track with only choirs and church organ. After this a fusion track of jazz + Eastern music changes the mood with a warm gentle sound. After this we get a more recognisable piece of Jan Akkerman's guitar orientated jazz-rock. Great solo's on a fast track with great drums. Almost as good as Fresh Air (of the Profile album). With a comeback of the dark organ/chord opentheme we get launched into the next song. The Last will and testament part of the song is a nice melodic jazzrock track with great symphonic arrengements and gentle moods. A great composition that will appeal to a lot of people. The closing section of the epic is sung by a choir. A great composion again and a great devoted ending of this epic. One of my favourite tracks of Jan Akkerman/

Conlusion. Side one is an aquired taste and side two has a perfect eclectic fusion masterpiece. Side one gets three stars and side two get's five, which results in a four star rating for Tabernakel.

friso | 4/5 |