Emma Myldenberger - Emma Myldenberger CD (album) cover

Emma Myldenberger

Krautrock

apps79
Neo Prog Team
2 stars EMMA MYLDENBERGER belong to the mass of the decent folk-related bands emerging from German ground during the 70's.This sextet was formed in 1977,hailing from Hirschberg in the region of Baden.From where the band was inspired to choose such a name remains yet a mystery to me.In 1978,just one year after their formation,they released a self-titled album (later re-issued by Garden of Delights on CD).

Closer to Medieval Folk than progressive rock,''Emma Myldenberger'' is an album for those out there searching for high-class folk material.The musicianship is dominated by the use of traditional folk instruments like mandolin,violin,banjo,sitar and flutes.The rock elements however are narrow limited to the presence of acoustic guitars and some percussion.The whole atmosphere will travel you in ancient times,led by the nice acoustic instrumentation,the Medieval flute work and the ethereal female vocals.It must be noticed that the acoustic guitars and the mandolin are very often in somekind of battle with the violins and the flutes,bringing a somewhat prog feeling to the album.Be warned however that this album is totally acoustic and it is reasonable that it will appeal mostly to fans of Folk and Ethnic music.As I have already mentioned in other reviews,rock music is my basis and this album contains from a few to almost none rock parts.Though I enjoyed it a bit,I certainly recommend it more to collectors of Folk music than an average proghead...Thus,2 stars for me...

apps79 | 2/5 |