Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame  CD (album) cover

THE INNER MOUNTING FLAME

Mahavishnu Orchestra

friso
3 stars Mahavisnhnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame (1971)

A very special intensive album for its time.

Ex-Miles Davis guitarist John McLaughlin formes his own fusion group with the noticable Jan Hammer on keys and the great drummer Billy Cobham. Still this could have been a McLaughlin solo effort, most songs are based on his ideas and guitarparts. This album could also be seen as the blueprint for the later Bird of Fire, which is often considered to be Mahavishnu's masterpiece. There are simularities in structure. Openingtracks of both album sound an awfull lot the same, so does the 'down-tempo' acoustic track, to name a few.

All compositions are extremely technical and low on soul. The guitars of McLaughlin are extremely dirty for its time and the violinsolo's of Goodman are without taking back. These factors are also my main problems with this recording. I just don't like the junky way of playing guitars of McLaughlin. Sometimes his tones are clearly false, especially when playing together with the violin. His choises of amplification are real overdue and he claimes to much space on this record. Why aren't there more easy parts with subtle drums of Cobham? No, mister McLaughlin takes it all. And he does play like in a blind rage, I really can't imagine another guitarist (I am one myself) could ever accept his bad playing on Inner Mounting Flame. He just wants to much and tries to play things he just can't play.

Conclusion. An exteremely technical album, but not played very professional. Much inmrovement was imminent on the Bird of Fire album, so I'd advice to buy that one first. For this record I have to squeeze to get three stars out of it... I don't think it's that good.. For (1971) it still is a groundbraking record due to its heavy approach on fusion.

friso | 3/5 |