Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land  CD (album) cover

ROCKPOMMEL'S LAND

Grobschnitt

friso
5 stars Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land (1977)

I like concept albums, but making a concept album has some risks too. The story can be silly, everyone will want to read the lyrics, or a band can to spend to much time on the storyline without giving us that rockin' prog experience. Grobschnitt, that by the time was a very expierenced symphonic rock group, gives us the perfect balance between story and music. The story gives the music depth, where the music makes the story emotionally charged. The beautifull artwork (get this on vinyl for the big pictures inside the foldout cover) completes the record and whe can succesfully speak of a concept album. On the instrumental side everything is there: symphonic keys, acoustic and gentle electric guitars, bass and drum. Also the vocal of Stefan Danielak are really good this time, though most of us will need some time to get over the German accent (which I find kind of cute, it fits the story).

Having this said, this will not be a record enjoyed by everyone. There has been a debate going about this record; is it just 'normal' sympho prog and not inventive enough, or it this a masterpiece of symphonic rock/concept albums. The main problem people might have with this record is the sense of humor of Grobschnitt and overall feel-good atmosphere of this record. Also the vocals are not always everyones cup of tea as mentioned before. I see the music as a lovely experience, it's one of the warmest and most intimate albums of proghistory. It is not one of the most technical prog albums, but there a lots of beatifull symphonic landscapes, great guitar parts and theatric vocals (think of the level of early Marillion). Also the conceptual songwriting is very good, two tracks of 10 minutes in the beginning and one of 21 minutes at the end. All tracks have interesting ways of developing and are emotionally in line of the lyrics.

Conclusion. One of my favourite discoveries of 2009. It is a record that touches me as I almost feel like Grobschnitt want to tell me this story right here in my room. Or in one word: Lovely! Five stars, I'll join the camp of the 'This is a symphonic conptual masterpiece'-proggers.

friso | 5/5 |