Magma - Attahk CD (album) cover

ATTAHK

Magma

Zeuhl

friso
3 stars Magma- Attahk (1978)

Important: I've never heard another Magma album. I'll rate this album as is if it was standing on it's own.

Magma is one of those bands that are not so easy to find for the vinyl collecters. They never made hits (as fas as I'm aware of) and their musical style "Zeulh" is very close to Avant- Garde rock and Free-Jazz, which isn't very populair. This might not haven been the Magma album of first choise for me (reading all the reviews on PA), but now I'm very happy I've got this record! In fact, it's one of the finest new findings of 2009 for me.

In this album Magma shows a lot of disciplines, but it never looses it's own sound. The first track "The Last seven Minutes" has heavy jazz and gothic sounds (the latter being a musical genre that wasn't invented in 1978), The spiritual song has a dark Gospel music sound (yes I said Gospel), Rind and Lirlik Necronomicus Kanht have more of a worldmusic/fusion sound. On side two Maahnt has spacy weird vocals and a sort of marching theme with windinstruments, Dandrai is a rythmic song with a central piano theme with lots of vocal of Cristiaan Vander and the last song is more of a classic progressive track with choirs and classical-music chords progressions in the chorus and a inventive three bar's based verse theme. The album has no standouts, but it draws your attention thoughout. Only on Dondai there is a bit too much of the same chordprogression.

The overall sound of Magma. The drums and basslines are routed in the jazz-rock/fusion music of the seventies. The keys are more progressive, but almost never have a symphonic rock sound. No instruments like Mellotron or synthisizors are used. There are no guitars (something I just found out reading the back of my record) and I didn't miss them either I just found out. The vocals of Crhistaan Vander are hard to discribe. Unearthly voices with strange ways of deforming the sound are applied. However, on most of the tracks he sings clean in his own language (kind of nice though) with EXTREMELY extrovevert vocal techniques you've never heard before. Like Micheal Jackson meets a dark troll. He uses his second voice very often (the high male voice).

Conclusion. Owh yeah! I found a band with a sound I've never heard before! This is just totally new. I'm very excited for looking for other Magma records. From my point of view this defenitly a 3+ star recording for it's bizarre inventive progressive sound, it's experiments with different musical styles (gothic, worldmusic, gospel, psychadelic, marching music, fusiond). Actually, I'd rate this 3.7 if I could. The pure symphoproggers won't digest this, but the progger who also likes fusion, avant-garde, psychadelic music or is open minded in general will adore this!

friso | 3/5 |