Porcupine Tree - The Incident CD (album) cover

THE INCIDENT

Porcupine Tree

Zitro
3 stars 3.3 stars.

Porcupine Tree probably won't ever release a mediocre album. However, I felt disappointed with this release due to it being misleadingly advertised as a 55-min epic and having a few tracks without a lot of substance.

Rather than a 55-min epic, it sounds more like a suite of separate tracks in the form of a concept album. Most of the tracks are very short and have no relation (musically) to the others. Unlike "The Wall" or a Neal Morse album, there is hardly any recurring themes here, making it seem like the band was unable to live up to its promises of having an album-length composition. One of the few recurring themes is an unimaginative one-chord guitar riff that is introduced on the first track and reintroduced later on, resulting in two tracks which have very little besides that riff.

"The Incident" is quite versatile as a whole, borrowing ideas from quite a few bands and blending them with the band's trademark spectacular production. "The Blind House" starts as a typical Porcupine Tree alt-rock opener but ends with interesting electronic percussion which gives it a haunting feel. "Drawing the Line" is an underrated song with an emotional simple chorus that sounds juvenile yet enjoyable. The electronic feel is also used in its title track, blending them with very distorted guitar riffs. I find the title track to be the most creative, engaging and best track in here. After that song, we have an atmospheric interlude that is reminiscent of Sigur Ros and an epic that heavily borrows a riff from a Pink Floyd song (Sheep). "Time Flies" is not their best epic as I find the vocal sections and the borrowed riff a bit on the bland side, but the dark and eerie instrumental section is among the best moments in the album. "Octane Twisted" seems to take ideas from Opeth and is a great hard rock composition and the last track of the first disc ends the CD well in a typical Porcupine Tree fashion (sad ballad).

Having a 2nd CD for four tracks that would have fit on the first felt a bit unnecessary, considering that the first disc is not one song. Of the four tracks, only the rhythmically interesting "Bonnie The Cat" and the ballad-turned-rock "Remember me Lover" spark my interest.

Despite being disappointed, I do not think that the band is starting to decline. I just think that this was a quick album that they had to do where they were attempting to try a wide variety of moods. In terms of mood and atmosphere, this album is at least on the same level as the others. The problem is that the songs are too short and don't have enough room for development and the previous albums had more standout tracks.

Best songs: The Incident, Octane Twisted, Bonnie the Cat.

Zitro | 3/5 |