Circus - Movin' On CD (album) cover

5 stars I can't recommend this band enough as they truly shine as a unique voice in 70s progressive. Their unusual line up instruments, well documented in other reviews, doesn't distract, rather, it creates are very singular feel and atmosphere through pensive and haunting arrangements and melodies. The vocalist's emotion and range is also a plus, and not marred by any accent while singing in English.

Although several other reviewers thought they heard an early Yes, KC and Genesis influence, and I don't dispute that, I'd add early Jethro Tull - the darker, folksier material. Whether or not Circus had heard of prog-folk weirdos Comus from the UK I don't know, but that's another touchpoint as Movin' On has a similair driving, acoustic nature with an edge. There's a strong combination of folk and jazz throughout the album, but it's far from what most would consider typical fusion, especially as solos are rare.

If you're looking for strong vocals, original instrumentation and a strong, intricate blend of folk/jazz, this is well worth checking out. The strong production quality of the recording and the beautiful simplicity of the cover art don't hurt either.

Area70 | 5/5 |