Radiohead - In Rainbows  CD (album) cover

IN RAINBOWS

Radiohead

jude111
4 stars I love Radiohead; if Pink Floyd is my favorite band of the 70s, Radiohead is easily my favorite of the late-90s to the present.

Having said that, I find IN RAINBOWS to be overrated. There is one masterpiece on this album, the amazing "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi." After that, however, I don't find any songs that equal the great work they did on past albums. "Nude" is a song written during OK COMPUTER, and there are bootleg versions out there of this song recorded circa 97 that I greatly prefer to this version. Also, the band had a contest on their website inviting people to remix the song, and I found many of the remixes to be superior as well, especially the Spor remix. "15 Step" is a nice opener, but I'm not as crazy about the song as apparently others are. (My gf loves it, for example.) "Videotape" is a nice way to close the album. But overall, as much as I tried, I couldn't get excited by the album.

I prefer Thom Yorke's THE ERASER much more, which was released a few months prior to IN RAINBOWS, and which he was working on at the same time. If I had to guess, I would say that his solo album was closer to his heart at the time than IN RAINBOWS. I also predict that ERASER will later come to be considered the more important of the two albums.

jude111 | 4/5 |