Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

5 stars The epic. Currently the number one album on Progarchives, with hundreds and hundreds of ratings, the majority of which hold this album up as the essential masterpiece not only of Yes, but of all prog bands. This is certainly an accurate portrayal of CTTE, and it should be mandatory listening for all potential prog fans. Not much to say that hasn't been said by about everyone on PA, though I never see a reason not to give my opinion. The title track is easily one of the best things Yes has ever made, containing everything that has given them such prestige in our community. And You And I is, in my humble opinion, the weakest song, though seeing as it's book-ended by two of the best things Yes has ever made, that says very little, and it's actually a very good track, though I'm not as crazy about this side of Yes as I am of stuff like Heart of the Sunrise and the following song, Siberian Khatru. This final song is really great, featuring Howe's amazing guitar work. So, I wholeheartedly agree with my fellow collaborators in saying that Close to the Edge is a masterpiece, five well-deserved stars for the legend.
Neurotarkus | 5/5 |