Magma - Mkank Dstruktẁ Kmmandh CD (album) cover

MKANK DSTRUKTẁ KMMANDH

Magma

Zeuhl

Neurotarkus
4 stars Magma is a very unique band, blending classical, jazz, opera, prog, rock, space rock, and who-knows-what to make very good, though not very accessible, music. This album was my first experience with Magma, and I must say that I was very pleased. The made-up language works very well with the music- giving it an otherworldly, futuristic feel, like the music of-, well, a future society on another world- called Kobaia. Well, that's the whole point, and it succeeds.

The album begins on a very high note, with the amazing Hortz Fur Dhn Stekhn West- this track is very addicting, and chanting, horns, and keyboards are used extremely well here. This then melts right into ma Sri Donda, which again uses chanting and instrumentation to very good effect. Then comes Kobaa Iss De Hndin, which is more of the same juicy Magma goodness, featuring more great vocals- the male ones even get close to a death metal growl at times. The rest of the album pretty mushc follows in the same tradition of these songs- in fact, the titles of various songs are founs within the lyrics of other songs- Hortz Fur Dhn Stekhn West has many within it, and Hortz Fur Dhn Stekhn West itself is found in Kobaa Iss De Hndin and Da Zeuhl Wortz Mkank. Overall, it is a very good and very strange album; recommended for anyone interested in progressive rock, and my recommended starting place for Magma. Though it's great, it isn't an "essential masterpiece" and whatnot; it deserves 4.5 stars, but alas, I cannot do that, so it gets 4.

Neurotarkus | 4/5 |