Magma - Mekan´k Destrukt´w Kommand÷h CD (album) cover

MEKAN¤K DESTRUKT¤W KOMMANDÍH

Magma

Zeuhl

Neurotarkus
4 stars Magma is a very unique band, blending classical, jazz, opera, prog, rock, space rock, and who-knows-what to make very good, though not very accessible, music. This album was my first experience with Magma, and I must say that I was very pleased. The made-up language works very well with the music- giving it an otherworldly, futuristic feel, like the music of-, well, a future society on another world- called Kobaia. Well, that's the whole point, and it succeeds.

The album begins on a very high note, with the amazing Hortz Fur DŰhn StekŰhn West- this track is very addicting, and chanting, horns, and keyboards are used extremely well here. This then melts right into ¤ma SŘri Donda´, which again uses chanting and instrumentation to very good effect. Then comes Koba´a Iss De HŘndin, which is more of the same juicy Magma goodness, featuring more great vocals- the male ones even get close to a death metal growl at times. The rest of the album pretty mushc follows in the same tradition of these songs- in fact, the titles of various songs are founs within the lyrics of other songs- Hortz Fur DŰhn StekŰhn West has many within it, and Hortz Fur DŰhn StekŰhn West itself is found in Koba´a Iss De HŘndin and Da Zeuhl Wortz MŰkan´k. Overall, it is a very good and very strange album; recommended for anyone interested in progressive rock, and my recommended starting place for Magma. Though it's great, it isn't an "essential masterpiece" and whatnot; it deserves 4.5 stars, but alas, I cannot do that, so it gets 4.

Neurotarkus | 4/5 |