Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin! CD (album) cover

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

Rock Progressivo Italiano

5 stars An album that will always have huge sentimental value to me as it was my introduction to Italian prog. And even as that was over 15 years ago, I can't think of too many similair releases that would have done a better job.

If I was to characterize this release in a few simple words I'd use "intrictae", "Baroque" and "gothic." The interplay between these excellent musicians, always held together with great range and authority by their enormous (in voice and stature) lead vocalist, is first rate and highly developed for only their second release. The atmosphere of these arrangements is quite thick and opaque, leading to a very dense sense of melody and counterpoint.

Anyone familiar with Italian classical music won't be surprised by the range of melodies and their intricacies. What did surprise upon my first listen was the force and weight put behind many of the passages, probably based on Italy's love of early British hard rock bands, easily as much as they loved the big name British prog bands of the day.

Area70 | 5/5 |