Daath - The Hinderers CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars Daath has been breathing life into the pretty stagnant death metal scene for the last five years.

Their blend of some Gothenburg scene death metal, techno, some black metal, US death metal and industrial metal gives the tracks on this album plenty of air and life. The music is not as compact as normal death metal. The techno and industrial metal stuff here is really good. My only gripe is that I wish the music was harder and more brutal. I am not a fan of this Gothenburg death metal scene. I think this scene is far too melodic. But I can see why this band has their fans. They have even thrown in some melodic guitar solos on this album.

It would be unfair to single out any of the tracks here. The quality is generally good and this is one of the better alternative death metal albums around. Daath is duly noted in my book of good guys.

3 stars