Ayers Rock - Beyond CD (album) cover

BEYOND

Ayers Rock

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This is another LP I have that still has a one dollar price sticker from the used record store. The things other people discard.

The descriptions here comparing this band to Santana and Traffic are right on the money. I wouldn't go as far as comparing them to The Mahavishnu Orchestra, but I hear where that's coming from.

The first song, Moondah, right off, falls right between Santana's rhythmic jams, and Traffics smooth rock sound. Place To Go, a slow vocal tune has some fusion aspects, and sort of reminds me of some of Stanley Clarke's early vocal fusion. Catchan Emu is a fast funky tune, where many of the Mahavishnu comarisons come from. While good, this is nowhere near as good as McLauhlin and friends.

Song For Darwin starts with a weird, almost orchestral intro, before settling into a Santana-like vocal arrangement. Angel In Disguise has a schmaltzty string intro, then becomes a nice slow fusion piece which segues into fast funk. Little Kings is a short, jazzy funk vocal tune.

I can understand why this band is so obscure. But for what they are, they are not bad.

Evolver | 3/5 |