Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

3 stars ELP reworked Mussorgsky. Brave idea, but the result is mixed. To be honest, I liked that album more some time ago. But now it sounds a bit boring.

ELP idea attracts me much, but the realisation isn't what I would like to hear. It is not jazzy improvisation on classic theme. It is just ambitious and bombastic in moments playing of classic thing at unnaturally prog-rock way.

I want to say, that if Palmer still sounds competent, Emerson just plays too far from real music. Yes, he demonstrates unusual keyboard technique ( and technical keyboard possibilities), but it doesn't catch you. In moments it's interesting , often boring, but in both cases has no musical magic at all!

The idea to put lyrics on Mussorgsky classic is attractive again. But result doesn't work.

All in all, very ambitious album with only average realisation. Last song - Tchaikovsky "Nutcrucker" is a fun, but absolutely out of place.

I think it's one of the weakest ELP album from their early "golden age".

snobb | 3/5 |