Earth and Fire - Atlantis CD (album) cover

ATLANTIS

Earth and Fire

friso
4 stars Earth and Fire - Atlantis (1973)

Abba meets symphonic prog

Since I've been listening to progressive music I've had the urge to collect all the Dutch seventies record. Earth and Fire makes some nice symphonic prog here with much use of the mellotron, some great guitar lines, modern pop-influences and classical influences, a side long epic, special female vocals of Jerney Kaagman (how many octaves?), experimentation with recording of vocals and above all many symphonic passages, sometimes reaching that magical point of classics like The Court of the Crimson King. The more then great artwork of the foldout sleeve covers both the inside and the front of the record, you should have vinyl copy of this one! In the Netherlands Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight reached a high notation in the charts.

As you've read this record is kind of mixed bag. The epic on side one has catchy melodies, some dark symphonic passages, abba-like rythms and vocals over symphonic melodies and keywork, bombastic symphonic melodies and some intimate moments with the at the time great lead vocalist Jerney Kaagman. On side two the mention hit is a very nice uptempo song that is actually quite progressive, still very likable for a lot of people. Nice work! Interlude, Fanfare and Theme from Atlantis could be seen as one epic song and might be seen as the highlight of the album. I would like to mention this combination of tracks on my alltime favourite mellotron tracks list. There's intimite vocals, growling distorted guitars and lot's of bombastic chordprogressions. Very nice! Love please close the Door is another semi symphonic semi pop album. The finale of the refrein is very impressive and the songs seems to work to that moment of brilliance.

Conclusion. When I started writing this review I put this record on. I had planned to give it three stars, but this is defenitely a four star recording! Great symphonic record. Mellotron fetishists get this one!

friso | 4/5 |