Anata - The Conductor's Departure  CD (album) cover

THE CONDUCTOR'S DEPARTURE

Anata

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars This album makes me look at their debut album with nostalgic, misty eyes.

For once; an album title truly reflects the essence of an album. The true Anata has departed on this album. What we get is stew of bland hardcore and thrash/heavy metal with some hints of death and progressive metal. If the death metal scene is overcrowded, their new scene is ten times worse. OK, there are some references to Gorguts and their last two albums here. But where Gorguts was both very brave and clever; Anata is just copying the whole hardcore/thrash/heavy metal formula without injecting their own DNA. The death growling is still there and that's all. The conductor has departed.

Quality wise, this album is not a disaster. It has some OK riffs and what I loosely would call songs. But this is probably Anata's worst ever album. I wonder if their association with the big label Earache was such a good idea after all. The good old Anata is missing on this album.

2 stars (barely)