David Sylvian - The First Day (with Robert Fripp) CD (album) cover

THE FIRST DAY (WITH ROBERT FRIPP)

David Sylvian

snobb
4 stars David Sylvian is co-founder of synthy-pop band Japan in past. So he wasn't very interesting for me by himself, but that album is recorded with collaboration with Robert Fripp and would-be King Crimson member Trey Gunn. So, I purchased it. And I am happy with that!

For sure, the music on the album is different from King Crimson, or Japan ( band) music. It is unusual mix of electronics, ambient, Fripp heavy guitar and Trey Gunn's cold pulsation. Both together it sounds a bit similar to Eno-Byrn "My Life In the Bush of Ghosts" album ( especially on "God's Monkey"). In moments sound is similar to Bowie Berlin trilogy. Any way, they use some african rhythmics and unusual bass pulsation.

Sylvian voice isn't strong or specific, but ( as in case with Bowie) sounds good in combination with that kind of music. There are plenty of Fripp guitar,Gunn bass and Sylvian ambient keyboards. Songs are different and quite energetic. So, listening is really pleasant and interesting.

snobb | 4/5 |