Patrick Moraz - The Story of I CD (album) cover

THE STORY OF I

Patrick Moraz

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars I remember when this album was released and how it was hailed by the music press at the time as a masterpiece. By the next year it was completly forgotten (the hot news was Rick Wakeman back to Yes). In Brazil there was a lot of talk about it since he was probably the first artist to use brazilian percussionists on a prog record. So I guess me and my friends had a lot to talk about those days. Moraz even lived here for a while.

Ok, more than 30 years after, there are stil little fuss about The Story of I, even in prog circles. I never had the original record (I was just another teenager who had no money) and what I heard it was from my colleagues who did have some. Only recently I had the opportunity to buy a used copy in a sales bin. I was really curious of how it would sound today, specially when I saw so many conflicting ratings here on PA. But after several days listening to the album every opportunity I had I did not find it to mbe neither the masterpiece some claim nor the crap others labeled it. the story may be naive or too confusing for some, but I like it, it was quite innovative for the time and the whole concept seemed ok.

The record has some fine moments: the mix of synths and the samba percussion is interesting and works after a while. Some songs are quite beautiful like The Best Years Of Our Lives, a unexpected ballad. The main problem with The Story of I is the fact that those moments donīt hold together well. Itīs hard to enjoy it fully and it lacks cohesiveness. When you start to like one part then there is a shift for another thing entirely different, then goes for another and so on without much continuity or build up. It may works with the storyline, I guess, but doesnīt sound pleasant for my ears. itīs like a mosaique of musical fragments: most of them look nice separately, but not as a whole. The overall musicanship is nothing less than superb of course, with some really outstanding ones like drummer Alphonse Mouzon and bassist Jeff Berlin.

Conclusion: The Story Of I is more interesting than really good nowadays, in my humble opinion. It has some good parts and it was a valid experiment then, but it dated somehow and does not work as a whole. If youīre a fan of Yes around the time of Relayer you should give it a try. final rating: 3 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |