Swedish Family - Vintage Prog CD (album) cover

VINTAGE PROG

Swedish Family

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars We all need our piece of nostalgia from time to time. And what else could bring it than something not just influenced by 70's, but even doing seventies in naughties. And I like it. I like it a lot, because Tomas Bodin is master when concerning these things. Big element here is melody, as it always was concerning TFK related people. But there's other problem. These songs are sweeter than sugar mixed with yet another blast of sugar. Not like sugar pop music, but even for me, the optimistic feeling shining from it is far too much. Sometimes, not all the time (in fact just 1/4)

There's also trace of something older than golden age of prog. Some folklore traces (accordion I'm talking about). After all, when someone names his album with "vintage" word, all these things should be expected. Mostly instrumental, it's a good presentation of some ideas and keyboard work (other instruments plays second fiddle, so is Roine Stolt except some guitar solos). You can read the story about these songs on TFK homepage, or in Gatot's review, I say that it's great mystification.

4(+), at least I suppose.

Marty McFly | 4/5 |