Magma - Live/Hhaï (Köhntark) CD (album) cover

LIVE/HHAÏ (KÖHNTARK)

Magma

Zeuhl

friso
5 stars Magma - Live (1975)

This would even scare extraterrestial invaders!

I recently purchased Magma's Atahkk and was blown away by this totally new sound. I had to have more of this! I've spend a bit to much money on it, but it turned out to be worth it: a vinyl copy of Magma's double live lp.

The music of Magma is hard to discribe. I'll try to discribe it by a sum of words. Dark opera, psycho fusion, dissonance, music about the beginning of the earth, not-human, spacey, classical music influenced vocals. Just listen to the music if you want the complete picture, words are inaccurate.

The sound of this live recording is good, all instruments are well mixed and there's a good difference between the low volume and high volume moments. The band plays at an extraordinary rate of precision, I know of no live record that resembles this quality. Cristiaan is a great drummer, but he knows when to freak out and when to keep it functional. The vocals are intensive, but always in a controlled way. The basslines are good and functional, the keys are perfectly played throughout the concert. The choise of keyinstruments is very good, most of them originate from the jazzrock/fusion repertoire.

Side one and two. The live version of the Kohntark composition of 30 minutes. This is the darkest part of the album. The concentration is high for halve an hour and it seems no mistakes are made. The dissonant chordprogressions with the angelic vocals work very well and it makes me enter to some strange world, like the music sucks you in. Though the music itself isn't that relaxing, I do seem to get in a trance while listening to it. I don't have this very often with music, so this is a very special experience for me!

Side three. Shorter compositions, some could be discribed as songs. Most of them have clear fusion influences, except for the vocals. Magma shows it's more gentle side. The tracks are less dark, some are even angelic in happy sence. Still I get floted away to some other world...

Side four. The technical fusion abilities of Magma are shown here. Though the dark opera side of magma is omnipresent, some fusion jams appear and succeed to keep the tempo high on this lenghty live registration.

Conclusion. I've never heard something like this before, is this the one perfect live album? I don't think more then 30% of the PA collaborators will ever get to like this because of it's heavy atmospheres and unlikable freakyness. It might be even heavier then VdGG's Pawn Hearts. If you like dissonance, psychedelica, spacerock and fusion, this is your final experience! If you just like symphonic prog of the classic tradition, this might be your worst nightmare. For me this the proof people can believe in something, though it is stranger then everything else. They did this, and it worked! I think Magma can be seen as one of the progressive end-points: this is as far as we have come in 40 years of prog. And I thank them for that. Five stars.

friso | 5/5 |