Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite  CD (album) cover

Dream Theater

4 stars I LOVE DREAM THEATER. In my opinion they are the greatest thing ever to happen to music but I will try to give a review of When Day and Dream Unite keeping my bias at bay. This cd is nothing like any of there other releases it feels as if it is almost a power metal cd. It seems as if when they were writing this material they were listening to a lot of Rush and Queensryche. A lot of people may find it some what dull and not as full as the rest of Dream Theater's discography that maybe because the production on this cd is not that great but, I like how you each instruments in it have the same level of importance in a way that no one takes over and shoves the other aside but, it defiantly does not sound like it was mixed well. Besides the poor production there is another down side and that is that James LaBrie is not the singer, instead its Charlie Dominici and after hearing the vocals you will be glade that Dream Theater found LaBrie to replace him. There is nothing wrong with a young Dream Theater's ability to write good music here and they do show off their mastery of their instruments ( though they will only become better in time.) There are a few Dream Theater classics on this debut such as "the killing Hand", "Afterlife" and Dream Theater's response to Rushes "YYZ", "The Ytse Jam".

Overall this is not the classic Dream Theater that I love but there are signs of what they will become and it's still a good Cd and any Dream Theater fan would love it.

kawkaw123 | 4/5 |