Gordian Knot - Emergent CD (album) cover

EMERGENT

Gordian Knot

Experimental/Post Metal

snobb
5 stars Second album of great bassist Sean Malone project Gordian Knot continues excellent musical ideas, started at their debut. Shortly, it is a technicaly and melodicaly perfect mix between jazz fusion and progressive metal. Instrumental album consists of melted technique, jazzy arrangements and metal heaviness. Differently from their debut, big part of team is changed, we have two new great musicians on board: Bill Bruford and Steve Hackett!

I like that kind of music and I believe that we have there something what will give a birth of new generation progresive rock in XXI century. Not boring symphonic citates or mainstream neo- prog cliches are included at all. Not heavy metal stereotypes / machismo, not indie/brit-pop traces ( in a kind of Porcupine Tree of last years) presented . Just very professional elements from fusion and prog-metal, without tons of dated and boring prog rock atributes. Yes, sound isn't very soulful, but not very cold as well. You hear cool warmless in their music, and it's a real music of the first decade of XXI century! In comparance with debut ( and I believe because of line-up changes) music is a bit far from King Crimsonian influence, little slower and even warmer.

I believe, that this album could be interesting to listen for wide circle of modern prog lovers, starting from heavy prog fans, till Zappa's maniacs. Must have for Cynic/Sean Malone fans.

snobb | 5/5 |