Flametal - Master of the Aire CD (album) cover

3 stars Shock, horror, shock.

The debut album from this band is one of the most untraditional albums I have ever heard in my life. Flamenco combined with thrash metal in the vein of Testament, Slayer and Metallica is pretty inventive. Hence my jaw dropped to the floor.

I was well prepared for a new shock when I put this CD in my rig again. I was not let down by Flametal. This album is again a massive clash between, insert a famous flamenco band and Slayer/Metallica. This time, they have also included some more softer heavy metal tunes and flamencoed them up. It feels like Flametal is more secure in the music on this album. Metallica esque riffs and vocals are interrupted and sometimes even entwined with burst of flamenco. Does it work ? Yes, it does. Flametal set out to prove that thrash/ death metal and flamenco fits together. They succeeded. The result is not always pretty. Some of the songs here falls flat on their face. Other songs like for example the epic Nightwalkers really works with a blend of guitar solos, flamenco and death growls. But the overall impression is that this is a good album.

Flametal's two albums has to be heard to be believed. There is nothing like them on the scene. Nothing ! Flametal has singlehanded invented their own music style and I admire them for their invention. We need more innovators like Flametal.

3.5 stars