David Bowie - Hunky Dory CD (album) cover

HUNKY DORY

David Bowie

Dr Pripp
5 stars I rememer when I bought this album in 1973, 12 years old. The family was on its way to the holiday camp and we kids brought our "old" record player along. We only had a dozen of records, so a new arrival was something special. Some albums are strange. I┤ve probably heard "Hunky Dory" more than any other record and it still present something new. It has that kind of eternal quality that few other albums offer.

In comparison to Bowies previous record, the hard rocking "The man who sold the earth" ,"Hunky Dory" seems like a radical turn in direction, which is (i belive) not the case. Bowie use the same formula, but instead of a full frontal approach he choose a more delicate way of arrangements. Rick Wakemans contibutions to realise this should not be underestimated. Together with Mick Ronson, he help Bowie to create a soundscape between the "folk rock" of David Bowie" (aka Space oddity) and the more avant garde influences from the Velvet underground. The final result needs no comments. It┤s one of those records that only gets better and better.

Dr Pripp | 5/5 |