Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other CD (album) cover

THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER

Van Der Graaf Generator

friso
4 stars Van der Graaf Generator - The Least we can do is wave to each other (1970)

Van der Graaf released two full studioalbums in this important year for progressive rock, Wave being the first of the two. It is a lonely album in their impressive discography for quite a number of reasons. It's naive, it's recorded very direct and it has some of Graaf's best songs. Just songs. It's less progressive then followup H to He and far from the level of progressiveness of Pawn Hearts. Recently, even my progbuddy progrules got into this album, he used to dislike Van der Gaaf very much.

Though it's less progressive, this one of most likable albums of their career. Peter Hammil's voice is maybe best recorded on this album and he sings better then on Godbluff. The organs of Hugh Banton sound very warm, this gives this album a sort of cultfeel. It was recorded in 1969 and the best sounds of the late sixties are combined with the total new way of playing progressive music in the seventies. This overlap might be a keyelement, for me and for those who like the early progressive period (1969).

Opening track Darkness is indead angry and dark, the saxes are furious and Peter is honestly mad (as it seems..). Everytime the song starts I get blown away by the amazing warm sound of this album. Refugees might be THE gentle track of the Generator. An amazingly nice wind intro, gentle chord progressions and lovely vocals of mister Hammil. In the middle section the organs sound is again very good. A great track recorded masterfull. White Hammer has a hard rock-influenced sound and it soots VdGG very well. The wind section is great in the refreins and the refrein has a sort of plot in it's melody that makes it very interesting. The dark ending section is a bit too extreme and psychedelic, but the sounds are againg very interesting.

On side two Whatever Would Robert Have Said? and Out Of My Book are some more great songs with nice solosections. The melodies are fine and inspired, the vocals are great. After the Flood is the most epical song on the album. Mosts parts of it are very good, some are less good. The epical compositions and form of the song isn't that evolved, but the lyrical context is inspiring. The song could be seen as a good prediction of what's to come on their later albums.

Conclusion. This is a VdGG that just works very well. Great songs, great sound. I somehow got very attached to this particulair album. Four stars.

friso | 4/5 |