Tomas Bodin - Sonic Boulevard  CD (album) cover

Tomas Bodin

3 stars This is the third solo attempt from the Flower Kings keyboardist. More subtle and meditative than the predecessors, but without becoming static. I think I read somewhere that Bodin attempted to make a sort of "new-age" or "ambient" type of record with this one - well, if that was the case, I am happy to say he failed; it is a far more interesting listen than all ambient/new age records I have heard before! Sonic Boulevard is in essence an instrumental album, vocals are merely used as "instruments" in some of the cuts. The album is not as keyboard-oriented as may be expected, both guitars and soprano saxophones are allowed generous space to lead in the musical landscapes painted by bodins compositions. Bodin a very gifted composer (and musician), and it is an album I have great pleasure in listening to. Not an essential album, but definitely worth lending an ear to if you like melodic music in the veins of Flower Kings or Camel.
| 3/5 |