King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon CD (album) cover

IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON

King Crimson

friso
5 stars King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (1970)

Every band can try to copy the King Crimson sound... except for King Crimson itself..?

Like VdGG King Crimson did two albums in this important year for progressive music. The first (Poseidon) had a formula based on their famous début, the second (Lizard) with a total new approach with a lot of jazz and avant-garde elements. After there big shot In the Court of the Crimson King, KC had to proof themselves as a band that was to stay. Robert Fripp must have though that he could copy the formula of side one of the debut and do some experimentation on side two of the record. The record eventually got bashed for this naive idea, but I don't think it's a good reason to bash an otherwise great record.

Pictures of a City has that psychedelic jazz-rock feel with the screaming guitar-parts and the many rhythmical technical parts in the middle sections. Some wind instrument complete the jazzy landscape to create the second best rocking' jazz track ever made. Cadance and Cascade reflects the gentle side of KC. The composition is as warm as I talk to the Wind, but fails to be as magical. Still a great ballad that makes me feel very peaceful. I love to play it on the piano myself. In the Wake of Poseidon the track is a symphonic masterpiece on it's own. Such great mellotrons, melodies and vocals. This track touches me and is as magical as it's blueprint Epitaph.

On side two a more interesting, inventive style is created. Cat Food is a KC song that doesn't sound like any other they made. It's a dark jazzy track with screamy rhythmical vocals and a 'gone wild' piano, the baseline is the focus point in the song. This is true progressive thinking! The Devil's Triangle is a dark mellotron symphony without any concessions to their melodic sound. It's dissonant with a marching rhythm section. This could have been used for a horror-movie! With the finally Piece - an End we do come to peace after the worrying previous track. The melodies are nice and gentle, but the recording is a bit shy. It should have had more volume.

Conclusion. Side one isn't very inventive, but side two brakes all the rules. That's inventive enough for me. By the way... if KC is bashed because of this, we could bash 90% of all neo-prog and other symphonic prog ass well. It's one of my favourite KC's and the quality of the compositions is very high. I will give this five stars without a moment of doubt.

friso | 5/5 |