Robert Wyatt - The End Of An Ear CD (album) cover

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

2 stars Good musicianship disguises the emptiness.

Robert Wyatt was on leave from Soft Machine because he thought they became too much of a jazz band.......... and he recorded this album. I am confused. This album, his debut album, is an avant-garde free jazz album where ideas are thrown together without creating good tunes. This album is not even in the Canterbury scene mould. This is RIO or even something more avant-garde than that. Not even Soft Machine was this avant-garde.

You may detect that I am not a fan of this album. You are right. The musicianship is good and I do get a couple of the tunes here. But listening to this forty-five minutes long jam leaves me an empty feeling. If only this jam was dynamic. It is not. Only a couple of tunes has any dynamics. The rest is experimentations over some themes and only that. This is not an album for me.

2 stars