Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

HYBRIS

Änglagård

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars If I may start with a bit of criticism, I find that, while Anekdoten and Landberk always aimed to assimilate their 70's influences with a personal artistic view, Änglagard never went beyond revisiting Genesis. So if a well-executed Nursery-Knife-Cryme-Foxtrot with a touch of Crimson is your cup of tea, then you will enjoy this album a lot. Luckily, I like that era an awful lot as well.

A remarkable thing is that Änglagard doesn't sound very much like that other band that revisited Genesis 10 years earlier. I'd say that while Änglagard picked up the 71-72 sound, Marillion focussed more on the 73-78 phase. For me it's just another proof of how versatile and truly remarkable Genesis was. I'm tempted to say that Hybris pales a bit by that dazzling perspective.

If I may continue with another bit of criticism, I think the vocals are slightly disappointing. In that respect they are nothing like Genesis at all. I'd say it's a bit ironic that the only aspect where they really differ from their idols turns out to be so unfulfilling. They must have felt the same as their next album would be entirely instrumental. Luckily, also here they don't sing all that much.

Looking at it from 2009, there's one big redeeming factor for their lack of originality. I can see the impact this must have had at the time of its release. Unlike neo-prog that took in too much of the 80's glossiness; this 'retro-prog' sprouted a new wave of bands that really re-connected with the musicality, the rich ambience and the feel for melody of the original symphonic prog bands. 4.5 stars for the instrumental tracks. 4 stars on the whole.

Bonnek | 3/5 |