Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery CD (album) cover

Electric Light Orchestra

1 stars My first discovery of ELO. Let me make an unoriginal joke and say that the ''disco'' is ''very'' here.

The first track on each side of the album (''Shine a Little Light'' and ''Last Train to London'') remind me of how I stereotypically view disco; bouncy bass lines, high pitched vocals and fluttery pseudo-orchestral type line that plunk out melodies. I've heard a few ELO things before this, but I was never expecting such mediocre disco out of this group. And would you believe if I told you that I feel the two songs I mentioned are the best off the album?

Me neither, but DISCOVERY is not 100% disco. We also get a sea of slow, soft uber pop that possess a certain magic; five of the remaining seven songs magically go into my brain, then leave my brain without me really remembering how any of the songs went. If you didn't understand the bad humour, let me put it like this; my mind wandered throughout most of the album.

I guess that for a pop album, it's nice. But this site deals with more progressive type of musics and DISCOVERY has virtually none to offer here, IMO.

Sinusoid | 1/5 |