Savatage - Fight For The Rock CD (album) cover

FIGHT FOR THE ROCK

Savatage

UMUR
2 stars Fight For The Rock is the third full-length studio album by American power metal act Savatage. After a strong second album in the raw and powerful Power of the Night (1985), I was really looking forward to listening to Fight For The Rock, even though evil tongues had spoken bad things about the album. I´m not happy to admit it, but they were right.

Fight For The Rock is still unmistakably the sound of Savatage, but it´s certainly a watered down and commercial version. There are several pop elements in the songs which didn´t do much to satisfy the fans back when the album was released and unfortunately for Savatage, neither the critics. Fight For The Rock turned out to be both an artistic and a commercial failure. Songs like Crying For Love and Day After Day are simply not worthy of the Savatage name. Even the more rock oriented tracks like Fight For the Rock and She´s Only Rock´n´roll sound pretty lame and uninspired to say the least. Lead vocalist Jon Oliva sounds restrained on many of the songs and he was always best when he bellowed out his lungs IMO. There are some rocking parts on the album that suits my taste but even those are scarred by the weak production on the album. Now you´re welcome to call me old and grumpy but this is just not a good album in my book. The music on the album is still basically traditional heavy metal/ US power metal but for the first time the band experiment with slightly progressive ideas ( very, very few though) and unfortunately fails badly both at the hard rocking and the more pop oriented sections ( and the slightly progressive ones too).

The music on this album sounds like an intentional attempt at creating a commercial succes. Something that is rarely succesful when forced. And thus Savatage arguably created what most fans of the band see as the black sheep in the band´s discography. I can´t say I enjoyed myself one bit either and a 1.5 - 2 star rating is warranted. Quite the disappointment after the strong Power of the Night.

UMUR | 2/5 |