Umphrey's McGee - Mantis CD (album) cover

MANTIS

Umphrey's McGee

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars First one and for some time also the only one I've listened by Umphrey's (is it just me, or is this name really weird?). They say that their live gigs are much better than studio albums. OK, I'm not from USA and I don't expect them coming anytime soon to my country, so what's left ? Studio albums (and few live ones). Made To Measure is really great intro (which reminds me [by this piano] singers like Norah Jones, which I like, even they're not prog. But this is), setting the mood and story. Story about male perspective (which I like, as today's world is quite feminist (not talking about Archives though). When I took my time to understand lyrics (and not just listen to them), it raised my feelings about "Mantis". It's quite true, things they say (sing 'bout). Then strange bridge (half a minute song) and finally, Mantis, with really strong (and unique) intro. This is what I like about McGee, it's different and yet familiar (0:30-1:05) sound. Blend it all together, add interesting story (and quite original one, as this isn't something I was expecting from prog), pleasant vocals and melodic element and you have great crossover prog (source of inspiration - everything)

4(+), being Jam band isn't something to be ashamed of. Later on, it somehow lost the energy, before finally regaining it. Some of these influences does not sound so good as others, but in general, it's very good record. Under-rated, yes, but what isn't these days.

EDIT: Oh-kay, two people already mentioned me that there are ways. Even it still doesn't mean seeing live gig. But thanks for these, they're valuable for me.

Marty McFly | 4/5 |