Alphataurus - Alphataurus CD (album) cover

ALPHATAURUS

Alphataurus

Rock Progressivo Italiano

friso
4 stars Alphataurus (1973)

Yes I finally got my hands on a vinyl copy of this one! Just look at the amazing artwork. The beautiful politically involved artwork is actually three time as big as the vinyl cover unfolds two times! You've only seen 1/3 of this piece of art! I myself fell in love with it looking at it as a little preview picture on PA.

The music is Alphataurus could be described as heavy melodic symphonic prog with intensive Italian vocals. The keys (piano, organ, moog, synthesizer) are very well played and have that rough edge sound with some amazing moments of growling bass-notes on moog. The guitars are heavy and pinchy most of the time, but the chord progressions on acoustic guitar are subtle. The bass-guitar is played average and the amplification could have been better. The drums also have some recording problems, though this seems to differ on the tracks of the album. Overall the recording is more then acceptable because of the Led Zeppelin rock feeling applied to 100% progressive music. I wish there was more prog that sounded like this! Alphataurus also uses some sound-effects in their music. My only complaint is that the music isn't always played perfectly accurate, but you must be a musician to even hear the difference.

The atmospheres of the album consist of emotional seriousness, anger, frantic moods and dark places. Sometimes these atmospheres are reached with heavy playing, but otherwise the beauty of the melodies like on La Mente Vola almost makes me cry.

The compositions are most of the time very intelligent, some longer tracks consist of a lot of different music elements. Le chamadere has almost all atmospheres of the symphonic genre, whilst Croma and La Mente Vola mainly have that bombastic melodic/symphonic masterful sound. Ombra Muta and Dopo LŽuragano focus on the intelligent heavy prog sound with some nice guitar riffs and solo's on both tracks. Because of the speed and the different moods covered on this album time flies by like it was only twenty minutes of music, but it's in fact 40 minutes of music.

Conclusion. This record makes me happy. La Mente Vola became one of my favourite progressive tracks and the artwork is the best I have ever seen. I will give this four stars for the archives, but for vinyl collectors like me this is MUSTHAVE material. Otherwise people interested in RPI, Symphonic prog, heavy prog and atmospheric prog in general should not hesitate to check this gem out. Great prog!

friso | 4/5 |