Amogh Symphony - Abolishing the Obsolete System CD (album) cover

Amogh Symphony

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars A very interesting debut from this new band from India.

Amogh Symphony introduce Indian music (and jazz) into their technical death and progressive metal sound. The vocals are this new grindcore growls we know from the likes of Cephalic Carnage. Not straigth death growls, but grindcore growls.

In their musical approach, Amogh Symphony is going down the same route as the likes of Flametal, the American band who combines thrash metal with flamenco. The problem with Amogh Symphony (and Flametal) is that the Indian folk music elements is not fully incorporated into the music. You get two minutes of technical death metal followed by a minute with jazz and then two minutes with progressive metal followed by three minutes of folk music from India. This is not rock'n'roll where country and blues were amalgated into one type of music back in the 1950s. This album is a bit too fragmented in my view.

I gladly admit my jaw dropped to the floor during the first times I was listening to it. But it does have those flaws I pointed out in the previous paragraph. A real killer track is also missing here. This is the debut album from Amogh Symphony though and it is a very impressive debut. But this scene is populated with some truly excellent bands and albums. This album falls a bit short. But I would still recommend this album and champion it's cause. This is an excellent debut from a band I hope I will hear a lot more about in the future.

3.5 stars