Cardiacs - A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window  CD (album) cover

A LITTLE MAN AND A HOUSE AND THE WHOLE WORLD WINDOW

Cardiacs

RIO/Avant-Prog

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
5 stars This album was sooooooooooooooo hard to get a hold of. But now that I did I'm never letting go since this is a complete masterpiece! The tracks, their arrangements, fantastic lyrics, overall feel of a complete album and much much more!

Most people consider Sing To God to be the band's true masterpiece and they are definitely not wrong, but after hearing A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window I just can't imagine how an album can be even better then this. The opening and closing tracks combined create this album's title and both of these compositions show completely different sides of Cardiacs' repertoire and both of those sides are completely fabulous to say the least.

The album is probably most known for featuring one of the band's most commercially oriented songs titled Is This The Life which has strong roots in the New Wave movement of the time. Although its contrast to the rest of the album I still find this tune extremely catchy and it works as a nice complement.

This is an essential album for everyone who likes their Art-Rock with a touch of Avant-garde!

Edit: I chose to base my opinion on the 11 track release (including I'm Eating In Bed) although the version I have is slightly different.

***** star songs: A Little Man And A House (5:01) In A City Lining (5:54) Is This The Life (5:37) Dive (4:08) R.E.S. (5:16) The Whole World Window (5:46)

**** star songs: I'm Eating In Bed (5:00) Interlude (0:46) The Breakfast Line (4:54) Victory Egg (3:07)

*** star songs: The Icing On The World (4:02)

Total rating: 4,56