Fred Frith - Guitar Solos CD (album) cover

Fred Frith

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars My copy of this recording is the ESD release, with ten extra bonus tracks, and almost twice as long as the original. Most of this album is very good, although much of it seems to be just ideas played out on the guitar, as opposed to fully developed songs. And a good sized chunk of the bonus tracks are just Frith making a bunch of noise on his guitar. As much as I love ROI, when it turns into a mess of random noise, it turns me off. But I digress. Frith's playing is often outstanding, and I can easily say that there is no other guitarist on Earth who sounds like him. While a few songs harken back tHenry Cow, most is pure Frith.
Evolver | 3/5 |