Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

friso
3 stars Yes - The Yes Album (1971)

Yes has never been my favourite band, but this record does show how talented they were. That is, on side one. Yours Is No Disgrace and Starship Trooper are both masterful progressive tracks. They are truly progressive, the melodies are still very catchy and the song-structures are evidence of great compositional capabilities. The acoustic guitar on The Clap is also nice but out of place. A live recording of an acoustic solo guitar track on a studio album isn't much of a good idea. I would still rate side on of this record between four and five star material.

But them came side two. I've Seen All Good People has a nice main melody, but fails to impress in all other aspects. The other songs on side two are plain bad pop songs. This is a pity, with a good side two this might have been my favourite Yes album. Now I only listen to side one.

Conclusion. An album with two perfect progressive compositions that took progressive rock to a wider audience. This isn't quite enough for more then three stars, because of the bad material on side two. All Yes fans should own this, all symphonic prog listeners should check it out and if you want to turn on acceptable prog for the non-experienced this is also suitable. Three stars.

friso | 3/5 |