Steve Hackett -  Genesis Revisited CD (album) cover

GENESIS REVISITED

Steve Hackett

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars The nostalgia for his old band didn't seem to leave Steve Hackett alone and so Steve finally decided to go back to his origins and, along with a bunch of great guest star musicians, decided to re-record the more instrumentally oriented tracks from Genesis-catalog.

This might have seemed like a dream come true for most Genesis fans but once the results were out I had a very mixed opinion of this final product. I like most of these performances but personally I still like the mixture of great Peter Gabriel lyrics together with the bands music, so I won't be impressed until the classic lineup actually decides to do a real reunion.

Genesis Revisited might not be a terrible release but I lack the feel of a band record which of course isn't what this release is all about. It's great to see so many familiar names behind this release but most of these performances turn out to be criminally underused and what we get here is more like a tribute band type of effort. Good, but non-essential.

**** star songs: Watcher Of The Skies (8:40) Dance On A Volcano (7:28) Déja Vu (5:53) Firth Of Fifth (9:39) Your Own Special Way (4:18) Fountain Of Salmacis (9:53) Waiting Room Only (6:53) Los Endos (8:51)

*** star songs: Valley Of The Kings (6:29) For Absent Friends (3:02)

** star songs: I Know What I Like (5:37)

Total Rating: 3,73