The Residents - Eskimo CD (album) cover

The Residents

Prog Metal Team
3 stars It's a bird, it's a plane, NO! ... it's just the wind...

Well that was basically my first impression upon hearing Eskimo for the first time. The music has a real ambient feel to it which makes for a great atmosphere but ultimately labels this release as an acquired taste-item. At the same time it seems that the overwhelming majority of people on this site would say that it's worth getting into!

The music here has a definite originality to it that surpasses pretty much anything else that the band has done. But it took me a long time to begin appreciating the album for what it was and not the Residents album I was expecting it to be. Still to this day I can't call Eskimo one of my favorite among the wide range of this band's releases but it's still worth the time and effort just to enjoy the wonderfully eclectic The Festival Of Death.

All that I can really guarantee is that it will take a lot of both time and effort to appreciate this music and I doubt that all too many people want to invest the two into this particular album. Good, but non-essential.

***** star songs: The Festival Of Death (10:28)

**** star songs: The Walrus Hunt (4:01) Birth (4:33) The Angry Angakok (5:20)

*** star songs: Arctic Hysteria (5:57) A Spirit Steals A Child (8:44)

Total rating: 3,89