Sensitive To Light - Almost Human CD (album) cover

ALMOST HUMAN

Sensitive To Light

Mellotron Storm
3 stars SENSITIVE TO LIGHT is the project of multi-instrumentalist Vynce Leff (SAENS). They've employed Jenny Lewis from the UK to do the vocals.This is a concept album based on the Carlo Collodi novel called "Adventures Of Pinocchio". In the liner notes it says: "Almost human...or the story of a grown up Pinocchio, realizing how mortal he is, facing the eternal questions...Where do I come from ? Why was I born ? Why do we have to die ?". Ok I am laughing right now but i'll try to hold it together. I guess I feel the same way about this album as I do the GLASS HAMMER records i've heard. Just not a big fan of the female vocals or the concept.

"Pinocchio- Dreams Are Coming True Tonight" is a short intro track with synths and female vocals. Male vocals after a minute. Not a good start. "Pinocchio-Birth" opens with the guitar soloing that sounds a lot like Mike Oldfield's guitar tone and style. It kicks in after a minute with vocals. The bass is prominant. It settles after 5 minutes with vocals. Sax before 7 1/2 minutes then it kicks back in with guitar. The sax is back after 9 minutes. Some nice guitar and bass late. "Something Happened In The Garden Of Eden" kicks in hard after 1 1/2 minutes. Lots of synths follow. It settles with vocals after 3 minutes. Male vocals a minute later. Contrasts between the calm and full sections continue. Sax before 7 1/2 minutes. She sings with passion then bagpipes end it.

"Carpe Diem" has a mellow intro but it does get fuller. "Kyrie (Gepetto's Death)" is my favourite track. It gets intense after 2 minutes and pretty heavy later on with guitar, organ and bass standing out. "Snow" eventually gets fairly heavy but it's restrained. Sax comes and goes. "Travels" builds and I like the drumming here. It settles later with sax then piano. "Father (The Truth)" opens with guitar and chunky bass before male vocals arrive. Female vocals after a minute. It brightens 3 minutes in with guitar and drums.The mood then changes as reserved female vocals come in. Sax follows as it builds. It brightens again after 5 1/2 minutes with dual vocals. The guitar after 7 1/2 minutes sounds like Oldfield again. "Memories" features gentle guitar and female vocal melodies. Nice way to end it.

I do think it's worth 3 stars but nothing more for my tastes.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |