The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees and The Shadows of The Past CD (album) cover

THE WIND, THE TREES AND THE SHADOWS OF THE PAST

The Morningside

Experimental/Post Metal

Any Colour You Like
4 stars Having heard samples of the The Morningside's tracks on Last.fm, I immediately became enthralled in the beauty of their music. The Wind, The Trees and The Shadows of The Past is essentially a nature inspired, Doom Metal album that fuses many different styles to create a unique sound that is truly wonderful.

Once the sound of nature fades away, we are left with a crushing mid-tempo rhythm section, that whilst devoid of progressive trickery and mastery, is well constructed and perfectly suited to the nature and folky atmosphere the album creates. I can have no real complaints about the music itself, nor the production, which for a relatively unknown Russian band seems more than acceptable to my amateur ears. The real highlight is the way that the music simply flows without being confined to a standard verse-chorus-verse structure, mixing doomy riffs, acoustic folk passages and ambient nature samples. My only real concern starts and ends with the vocals. Now, I am a late convert to growled vocals, I still consider them to be inferior to clean vocals, and in this case, the vocals are pretty average. They appear to be overly forced, and do not suit the timbre of the music. If anything, the small section of clean vocals suits the music much better, but still appear to be underdone and amateurish. This does detract from the overall impact of the nature inspired lyrical content, but does not ruin the instrumental development of the album as they are not the focus of each movement.

In conclusion, fans of Doom metal, Folk metal and those bands like Opeth, Agalloch and Isis would enjoy the The Morningside's debut album. It is well crafted and spiritually powerful, and despite the average vocals, the lengthy instrumental and ambient sections are more than worthy of a 4 star rating.

So go and check out their Last.Fm page for a free track!

Any Colour You Like | 4/5 |