Maudlin Of The Well - Part the Second CD (album) cover

Maudlin Of The Well

Experimental/Post Metal

2 stars As I am writing these lines, "Part The Second" is in No50 in the "Top Prog Albums" list, while "Romantic Warrior" in No92! What's going on here? Well, I find this an interesting creation mainly because I like when a variety of acoustic instruments (piano, violin etc) are used along with the basic rock electric gear. I would dare to say that Maudlin Of The Well is something between Kayo Dot and Pinapple Thief. I love melancholy in art, but this is the kind of "bored and tired artist" kind of melancholy, if you know what I mean... I get the feeling that "Part the Second" is not.. moving, it is a little "slow". Anyway, it is good that records like this come out in the 21st century, but (with all due respect) I find that there is still something missing to justify this album's high position in PA's "Top Prog Albums" catalogue.
Astryos | 2/5 |