Renaissance - Live at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Part 1 CD (album) cover

3 stars This is the original album which I bought and reviewed as Can You Hear Me one year ago.

An explanation is required, I guess. A Dutch label called Disky took this album and the part two album (which they re-released as Mother Russia), changed the songs around and re- released this mid-price album in a cheap packaging and bad sound. Fools like myself bought it. I have no regrets, actually, although what Disky did is nothing but a rip-off. But the original album Live at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Part 1 (this album) is rather expensive and very difficult to get hold off.

Live at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Part 1 is a lot better album than Disky's Can You Hear Me. The songs flows better into each other. The album starts with the orchestral piece Prologue. This is performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The band is then invited onto the stage by the conductor and goes straight into pretty studio-true versions of Can you understand, Carpet of the sun, Can you hear me and Song of Scheherazade. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra adds more depth to the songs, but also wipes out some of their lives. But on balance, the songs gets added value with the help of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. In particular Song of Scheherazade.

You know what you get with Renaissance. Lush symphonic prog somewhere between rock and classic music. I rate Renaissance very highly indeed. They are my kind of music.

So, what's my gripes with this album ? I think it is a rip-off when one concert is being released as two full price albums. This makes me angry because we, their fans, deserve a bit of respect from the record label and the band. So that's one star of the score. I am more fond of the songs on part 2 than this album. The songs are great, but not excellent. That's why I am only giving it three stars. Make that 3.5 stars.

3 stars