Cynic - Focus CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars While not a masterpiece, this album is among the best metal-jazz fusion (or jazz-influenced metal) records that I've heard. My biggest complaints are that Uroboric Forms is too loud near the end, and it's hard to hear the non-vocal melody on The Eagle Nature. The guitar solo at the end of How Could I is excellent, although I find the immediate lead up to it to be kind of weak. The melodies, however, are often catchy and there's a great level of energy throughout.

I actually like this record more than Traced in Air. In spite of its weaknesses, I would rate this album slightly below 4 stars because I don't think it's quite essential, but it's definitely better than just good.

dragonspirit | 4/5 |