Ritual - Ritual  CD (album) cover

RITUAL

Ritual

sussexbowler
4 stars This is a splendid album. I (personally) wouldn't even class it as Folk. To me its too full and rich to be so. Having said that, maybe the roots of Folk lie in foot-tapping rythyms, and there are plenty of those of show here.

The impressively boisterous 'Wingspread' sets the tone. Lively and fresh. It seems not to matter where a song starts musically, because a fresh rythym will ultimately drive it through to the end. If there is a weakness, then the music isn't particularly reflective. Then again, because of that it's bright and happy.

Track 8,' Seasong...' is a dud, but after that we have a fine finale. 'You can never tell' is another lively foot-tapper, and it heads into what is (almost) a Prog classic, 'Big black secret'. Punching bass, catchy drumming, forward synths and a 'metal' type of riff make this an powerhouse of Symphonic Prog.

'Power Place' enables us to catch our breath, no foot-tapping rythyms here. No, we're off to 'Yes' land. Maybe there was 'reflection' after all.

This really is a fine sounding album, and a breath of fresh air. Any one who wants a new type of 'Gentle Giant' needs look no further. The creativity is there, though the sound is more mainstream. Very enjoyable.

sussexbowler | 4/5 |