Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment  CD (album) cover

LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT

Liquid Tension Experiment

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
2 stars My friends have recommended me listening to Liquid Tension Experiment because, according to them, it's basically everything that is good about Dream Theater. To me, that sounded like a definite stab at the bands vocal section. But since I never actually had a problem with James LaBrie's vocals to begin with I don't really find anything new or different compared with what each member have done previously in their careers.

What I did find lacking were the compositions themselves because what this album offers is pure skill without any real substance to it. Of course it's fun listening to skilled musicians playing some of the most technical jams of their careers which could probably work for a 40+ minute album but it really gets old here. This problem becomes even more apparent on the 28-minute composition Three Minute Warning that in my opinion feels a lot longer and less interesting than the rest of the material combined.

I guess that if you're a fan of technical instrumental music then it's worth listening to Liquid Tension Experiment albums but personally I tend to prefer a combination of great compositions with excellent instrumental performances. Isn't that what music should be?

**** star songs: Paradigm Shift (8:54) Osmosis (3:26) Kindred Spirits (6:29) Chris And Kevin's Excellent Adventure (2:21) State Of Grace (5:01) Universal Mind (7:53)

*** star songs: The Stretch (2:00) Freedom Of Speech (9:19) Three Minute Warning (28:31)

Rune2000 | 2/5 |