Barclay James  Harvest - Once Again CD (album) cover

ONCE AGAIN

Barclay James Harvest

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars My introduction album to the sound of of Barclay James Harvest is a definite improvement to their debut release. I'm not only talking about the great compositions like Mocking Bird but the whole album in general has a dark and shadowy mood to it which I really like and it ultimately results in a feeling of consistency for me.

It's interesting that many reviews favor She Said since I've never really been a huge fan of that particular work for reasons that are unknown to me. I guess the track never managed to ignite that certain feeling that I have towards many of the other songs featured here.

This album marks one of the few occasions where Woolly Wolstenholme would get two of his compositions featured on a studio album and next time won't be until XII which also marked his last album with the band.

After all my praise I still hesitate to think of this album as an essential release for everyone since it only marked a step in the right direction, a potential, and there is still a great deal of improved to be made on later releases. Overall it's a solid introduction album to the early Barclay James Harvest-sound that everyone should listen to at least once!

***** star songs: Mocking Bird (6:38) Vanessa Simmons (3:45)

**** star songs: She Said (8:19) Happy Old World (4:39) Galadriel (3:14) Ball And Chain (4:48) Lady Loves (3:57)

*** star songs: Song For Dying (5:01)

Rune2000 | 4/5 |